Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Olympic Runners


                This weekend was Drake Relays. My sister was the only girl from Kennedy to participate in the Drake Relays but the boys track team had a lot of runners at the Drake Relays this weekend. The Drake Relays not only has high school students participating in the events but they also had college students and they even had professionals.
                My sister ran the 3000 meter race on Thursday so I went to support her on Thursday and to watch her race. I also went to watch the Drake Relays on Friday night. Friday night is one of the times when they have the most professionals running during the Drake Relays. It was really exciting and inspirational to watch all of the professional runners. It is really amazing to be able to see some of the runners that I look up to and that inspire me to run. During the national anthem and before every professional race at the Drake Relays they set off fireworks. Then all the athletes took to the track to compete at amazingly fast speeds. After the race the winners jog the outside of the track and I got to high five some of the great athletes.
                I was able to see the professionals run in the women’s shuttle hurdle, the women’s 1500 meter run, the 110 meter high hurdles and the 400 meter hurdles and I got to see some of the professionals high jump and pole vault. In the shuttle hurdle Lolo Jones was a member of the USA red team that went on to win the event. In the pole vault an athlete from Cuba won and someone from Jamaica won the 110 meter high hurdles. I also got to sit by the start of the 1500 meter race so I got to see all the professional runners line up and get ready to run their race.  It was really cool to see all of the runners because many of them were also Olympic runners and were some of the fastest runners in the world. I also enjoyed being able to see some of the college athletes run because it there times are a more realistic time for me to be able to reach some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment