Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Alternates


In cross country seven people run in the varsity race but only five are scored. Now that cross country season is over for all of the freshman, sophomores and junior varsity runners only the varsity are still practicing. The varsity team is getting ready for the state qualifying meet and then if they qualify the state meet. The cross country team can take ten runners to state even though only the top seven actually run.  The other three runners are alternates for the state meet and only run if someone gets injured.

This year for cross country I am one of the alternates for state. Being an alternate for state can be a good thing and a bad thing. Now that I’m an alternate for state that means that my season isn’t over yet and I still have to practice with the team. The cross country season seems really long so I was looking forward to being done with practice but now I have two more weeks left.

Another bad thing about being an alternate is not getting to run in meets. I have to practice with the team for the next two weeks but I don’t even get to run unless someone gets injured and I hope no one gets injured so we can run are best at state. So now I still have to go to practice every day just in case someone gets injured and I’m needed to run. Though not having to run in the meets can also be a good thing.

I am very excited about not having to run in any meets anymore. Not running in meets kind of seems to make practicing pointless because you’re only practicing just in case something happens but it is also nice not to have to run in any meets. Running in meets can be stressful and running in the state qualifying and state meet puts a lot of pressure on you to do good so you can help your team get to state. Instead of being stressed and feeling pressured to do well I can have fun instead. I still get to go to the meets with the varsity team and have fun cheering for them with the other alternates.

Overall I think it is a good thing to get to be an alternate. While you still have to practice it is still a lot of fun to be an alternate and you can gain more experience that could help you if you are an alternate next year and actually have to run at state.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your first paragraph and how it really opened up nicely to what being an alternate is like. I would recommend checking your spelling errors, but other than that it flowed nicely from paragraph to paragraph.

    ReplyDelete