Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mix Up your Running


If you run many races and, or are on a cross country team it’s important to make sure you are not always running the same thing every day. In the summer when I am preparing for my cross country season and don’t have anyone to coach me I have to make sure that I am mixing up what I need to run each day. It is not useful to run only three or four miles every day because you won’t be getting anything good out of it when your season starts. It is important to have some variation in what you run. I normally will run long days, intervals, tempo runs and recovery runs.

            Interval runs are needed to help you to improve your speed. In the summer I will normally run 400 meter intervals but during cross country season I may run 200, 400, 800 or even 1,000 meter intervals. If I want a more anaerobic exercise I will run 400 meter intervals with about three minute rest time for each interval and will run anywhere between eight and twelve intervals. In practice this year many times we run 400 meter intervals and have the same rest time as running time. In practice we will also run 4 sets of 5 200 meter intervals where we will have a three minute break between each set but during the first set we will have a minute break between each interval and decrease that time by 15 seconds each set until the last set when you only have 15 seconds of rest between the intervals. The 200 meter interval workout is normally more aerobic and helps with your heart rate.

            When I run long runs I will run anywhere from about an hour to an hour and a half or six to nine miles. I run at a slower speed in which I am able to talk while I’m running but am not completely out of breath. In my opinion long runs are very relaxing. Recovery runs are similar to long runs where you are also running at a slower pace but are not running for as long of a distance, more like three to five miles.

            Tempo runs are runs that you normally run on the track where you are running at a constant speed that is faster than long days and recovery days but a little slower than your interval pace. When I run tempos I will run them anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes and I have a certain time that I try to meet on each lap. If you want to be a successful runner it is important to make sure you are running a variety of different types of runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment